Frequently Asked Questions
at Health for Life Grand Rapids
● Monday-Thursday: 9-6pm – Earlier or later hours are available by appointment only,
● Fridays and Saturdays- by appointment only.
● Monday – Thursday: 9-5pm (EST)
● If you have a non-urgent question, please leave a voicemail for your clinician by calling their direct phone.
● If you have an urgent question then you may need to call the crisis line at 1-800-273-8255, dial 911 or go to the nearest Urgent Care or Emergency Room.
● The counselors in our office take multiple insurances, including: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Care Network, ASR, Physician’s Health (ASR) United Health Care, Reliant EAP, Beacon Health Care, Blue Cross Complete, Priority Health and out of network.
● Our Naturopathic Consultants do not take insurance because they are licensed in a different state (Arizona) and the state of Michigan has not passed the licensure bill yet. Disclaimer: In Michigan, Naturopathic Consultants are not yet licensed, Naturopathic Consultants are only able to provide health education to residents of Michigan.
● Our clinical hypnotherapist does not take insurance, but will work with you on a sliding scale.
● More information on insurance, available here:
● Yes, we can work with auto insurance companies and bill them for counseling. Just contact your clinician and be sure to have your claim number, insurance representative and date of loss ready. As long as the case is active and your insurance approves it we can work with your insurance directly with no cost to you.
● This applies to our licensed counselors only.
● All of our licensed counselors can take out of network insurance. It all depends on your insurance plan and benefits. We will be happy to give you a bill and give you an invoice or what is called a “superbill” for you to submit to your insurance company. Or you may contact you insurance company and find out what the out of network benefits are and we will be glad to submit those claims to your insurance company. We will work with you and figure out what the best plan is for out of network claims.
● We have developed a guide on utilizing insurance.
● Counseling is a collaborative relationship client and clinician also known as psychotherapy. Counseling can take on many different forms, from some solution-focused goal setting that helps someone with “self-improvement” to a deep healing process and overcoming anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, or chronic relationship problems. Counseling has been shown to lead to more effective long-term outcomes for anxiety and depression than for medication alone. Counselors work with clients to help identify goals and solutions for whatever circumstance, problem, or trauma is going on in their life. Counseling meet you where you are at and will not “tell you what to do.” Counselors use evidence-based practices and techniques to promote change–as much or as little as you want. Counselors believe and the science suggests that anyone can achieve their goals with the right amount of therapy and effort. Counseling can have a range of benefits–see our ABOUT page or HOME page for more details.
● To learn more about what counseling is and what it is not, visit:
● EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a therapy that is very effective with trauma and has been empirically proven to help individuals with PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder recover. Multiple studies have also shown that EMDR can to be effective with anxiety and depression.
Paul Krauss is a certified EMDR clinician has written several things about EMDR and trauma and you can read them at the following pages.
● This depends on the treatment plan that you and the counselor make together. Often times for outpatient counseling, the client is experiencing several issues that they would meet with their counselor once a week to work on. The counselor can put in place a plan to help you figure out other things to do outside of the office if you would like.
In some cases, the counselor would meet with you twice a week, but in general once a week until you feel that you have met your goals. At that point you may end counseling or taper off little by little until you are ready to complete counseling.
● Your counselor will work with you on a treatment plan and concrete goals that are measurable. You can reassess the treatment plan at anytime and the methods the counselor is utilizing, as there are many different types of counseling. We are very flexible and will meet you where you are at.
● Clinical hypnotherapy is a type of service that is unique and is very effective for many different issues. Luckily, our resident clinical hypnotherapist has written multiple articles which you can read here to learn more about it.
● Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that emphasizes prevention and the self-healing process through the use of natural therapies. Naturopathic consultants receive the same basic medical training a medical consultant (MD) or osteopathic consultant (DO) does, but the key difference is that naturopathic consultants education includes a focus on understanding the root cause of illness and treatments focus on eliminating the cause of disease to help people to achieve true health—primarily through the use of natural medicines.
● Naturopathic consultants must go to a 4-year medical school where they receive training in biology, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, physical medicine, naturopathic modalities and more. There are 7 accredited naturopathic programs located in the combined United States and Canada. To learn about these programs go to: https://aanmc.org/naturopathic-schools/
● A key principle of naturopathic medicine is to do no harm. It is very important for your naturopathic consultant to have medical training when providing education on your medical wellness. Without this foundation the practitioner will not have understanding or training that is necessary to keep you safe, while supporting you with natural therapies.
● Nicole Cain, ND MA graduated from a licensed naturopathic medical school—The Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. She completed a residency in primary care and did an extended fellowship in psychiatric care. She maintains a full license to practice in the state of Arizona. In Michigan, Nicole Cain, ND MA is able to provide expert education and consultation only.
● More detailed information here: https://www.healthforlifegr.com/naturopathic-physician-practitioner/
● To support licensure and regulation of Naturopathic Medicine in the State of Michigan please go to: https://www.michnd.org/
Disclaimer: In Michigan, Naturopathic Consultants are not yet licensed, Naturopathic Consultants are only able to provide health education to residents of Michigan.
● No, Nicole Cain ND MA is a licensed naturopathic doctor in the state of Arizona. She is providing expert education in the state of Michigan until the licensure bill is passed in Michigan. She has a master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and has worked as a clinical therapist and counselor. She has participated in an internship at Rush Behavioral Health hospital in Chicago, Illinois.
● In the state of Arizona, Nicole Cain, ND MA is recognized as a physician with her naturopathic medical degree and can prescribe medication. In the state of Michigan, she is not allowed to prescribe medication. Nicole Cain, ND MA may only provide education to residents of Michigan at this time. However, she can work with you to learn more about medications in order that you may work with your primary care consultant or psychiatrist on different perspectives. Disclaimer: In Michigan, Naturopathic Consultants are not yet licensed, Naturopathic Consultants are only able to provide health education to residents of Michigan.
● Yes, you may call our front desk 616-200-4433 to ask questions about supplements. However, you may not take any supplements without first consulting with your primary care physician.
● We believe it is important to look at your entire picture as a person, your history, your relationships, what is going on in your life and your entire health from mental health to physical health and all things in between. We are a clinic that believes in a holistic approach and therefore we do our homework. We do not make assumptions about people, we want to read and try to study the person so that we can get to know you in a very deep way and help you have deep healing.
● Nicole Cain, ND MA can give you expert education on what to do for such things as virus, flu and strep throat, however, you must always consult your primary care physician before making any changes or doing anything for your virus, flu or strep throat. When in doubt go to your local urgent care, ER, or primary care physician immediately. Disclaimer: In Michigan, Naturopathic Consultants are not yet licensed, Naturopathic Consultants are only able to provide health education to residents of Michigan.
● Our model is integrated in as much as that we are willing and able to collaborate with multiple practitioners based on anyone’s needs. If a client wants us to talk to their consultants to make custom plans, we can do so. This includes our Counselors and our Naturopathic consultant.
● We accept Cash, Check, Credit/Debit card, and HSA and Flexible Spending Accounts.
● Insurance coverage and/or reimbursement depend on the plan you have purchased. Our clinicians will be happy to discuss payment options with you.
● We are working on this and should be able to do so in the future.
● For counseling you may get invoices for your insurance. Currently insurances do not accept Naturopathic Medical Consultants invoices outside the state of Arizona. And clinical hypnotherapy is usually not accepted either.
● Health For Life occasionally offers health coaching and group health education classes.
● Health For Life Grand Rapids has many community partners depending on your needs we can help you find community resources that work for you.
● This business is not based around a religion. Though, we will accept whatever religion or non-religion you are a part of.
● Our clinicians have their own personal faiths and journeys and if asked will discuss this with you. Their primary objective is to help you, no matter what your religious affiliations or non-religious affiliations are. We seek to honor people where they are at and their culture and beliefs systems.
● The Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids is now located within Health for Life Grand Rapids.
● One session of smoking cessation with our hypnotherapist, Stacey, has an 85% success rate.
● All of our counselors are licensed through the State of Michigan, accept insurance, and are experts in their respective specialities.
● All counselors and consultants accept HSA cards
● Some counselors offer sand tray therapy
● All of our consultants and counselors are accepting new patients
● Health for Life now offers Reiki services as well.
Name - Nicole Vega
Client quote: “Nicole has been my health coach for almost one year. I am so grateful for her participation and encouragement in my journey as I continue to work towards my personal goals. Nicole has inspired me to be a better version of who I am through her passion and commitment in helping others. She has provided me with [...]
Name - Nicole Vega
Client quote: “I met Nicole in grad school. Her warm energy and compassionate soul made her very approachable. She’s always been health conscious, from clean nutrition to mental health stability. When Nicole reached out to me after I’d had my daughter, I was so relieved. I was looking for a way to take charge of my health and nutrition [...]
Name - Nicole Cain, ND MA
"Nicole Cain, ND MA is an incredibly talented healer, the best I’ve ever had. She gives you more than 7 minutes, nods, pokes, and writes a script for pills. She is like nothing you have likely seen before in healthcare. She’ll completely change your view of what is possible and what WELLNESS can be." - Actual Client
Name - Dr. Matthias
Professional quote: “Dr. Ronald Matthias: I am the consultant I am today in large part because of Nicole Cain, ND MA. There is no better Naturopathic consultant that I have worked with who has an amazing ability to relate to her clients. She is tough, thorough, and detailed, and her clients love her for it. I am proud to [...]
Name - Paul Krauss
Professional quote: "I'm pleased to recommend Paul as a talented and diligent therapist. During our time together as clinicians at Jewish Family and Children's Service, we facilitated adolescent therapy groups and staffed with each other regarding the clients and families we were both involved in providing services for. During these and other interactions, Paul consistently demonstrated professionalism, genuine care, [...]
Name - Actual Patient
Patient quote: “Paul, I think I know why I can be open with you and not all of the other counselors I have seen. Because I deep down truly and fully and in my heart BELIEVE that you CARE, about me, and about everyone. That is how you made yourself SO good at what you do. And that makes [...]