● Monday-Thursday: 9-6pm – Earlier or later hours are available by appointment only,
● Fridays and Saturdays- by appointment only.
● Monday – Thursday: 9-5pm (EST)
● If you have a non-urgent question, please leave a voicemail in your clinicians’ voicemail box.
● If you are trying to reach Dr. Cain, please dial extension 1 to leave a message for her administrator.
● If you have an urgent question then you may need to call the crisis line at 1-800-273-8255, dial 911 or go to your urgent care.
● Yes, most of our clinicians are always accepting new clients. Please contact the individual clinician you would like to have an appointment with and find out if they are available to take new clients. Click to learn more about Dr. Cain or to schedule an appointment. Click to read our counselor bios or to schedule an appointment.
● The counselors in our office take multiple insurances, including: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Care Network, United Health Care, Reliant EAP, Beacon Health Care and out of network.
● Our Naturopathic Doctor does not take insurance because they are licensed in a different state (Arizona) and the state of Michigan has not passed the licensure bill yet.
● Our clinical hypnotherapist does not take insurance, but will work with you on a sliding scale.
● More information on insurance, available here:
● Yes, we can work with auto insurance companies and bill them for counseling. Just contact your clinician and be sure to have your claim number, insurance representative and date of loss ready. As long as the case is active and your insurance approves it we can work with your insurance directly with no cost to you.
● This applies to our licensed counselors only.
● All of our licensed counselors can take out of network insurance. It all depends on your insurance plan and benefits. We will be happy to give you a bill and give you an invoice or what is called a “superbill” for you to submit to your insurance company. Or you may contact you insurance company and find out what the out of network benefits are and we will be glad to submit those claims to your insurance company. We will work with you and figure out what the best plan is for out of network claims.
● We have developed a guide on utilizing insurance.
● Counseling is a collaborative relationship client and clinician also known as psychotherapy. Counseling can take on many different forms, from some solution-focused goal setting that helps someone with “self-improvement” to a deep healing process and overcoming anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, or chronic relationship problems. Counseling has been shown to lead to more effective long-term outcomes for anxiety and depression than for medication alone. Counselors work with clients to help identify goals and solutions for whatever circumstance, problem, or trauma is going on in their life. Counseling meet you where you are at and will not “tell you what to do.” Counselors use evidence-based practices and techniques to promote change–as much or as little as you want. Counselors believe and the science suggests that anyone can achieve their goals with the right amount of therapy and effort. Counseling can have a range of benefits–see our ABOUT page or HOME page for more details.
● To learn more about what counseling is and what it is not, visit:
● EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a therapy that is very effective with trauma and has been empirically proven to help individuals with PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder recover. Multiple studies have also shown that EMDR can to be effective with anxiety and depression.
Paul Krauss is a certified EMDR clinician has written several things about EMDR and trauma and you can read them at the following pages.
● This depends on the treatment plan that you and the counselor make together. Often times for outpatient counseling, the client is experiencing several issues that they would meet with their counselor once a week to work on. The counselor can put in place a plan to help you figure out other things to do outside of the office if you would like.
In some cases, the counselor would meet with you twice a week, but in general once a week until you feel that you have met your goals. At that point you may end counseling or taper off little by little until you are ready to complete counseling.
● Your counselor will work with you on a treatment plan and concrete goals that are measurable. You can reassess the treatment plan at anytime and the methods the counselor is utilizing, as there are many different types of counseling. We are very flexible and will meet you where you are at.
● Clinical hypnotherapy is a type of service that is unique and is very effective for many different issues. Luckily, our resident clinical hypnotherapist has written multiple articles which you can read here to learn more about it.
● Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that emphasizes prevention and the self-healing process through the use of natural therapies. Naturopathic doctors receive the same basic medical training a medical doctor (MD) or osteopathic doctor (DO) does, but the key difference is that naturopathic doctors education includes a focus on understanding the root cause of illness and treatments focus on eliminating the cause of disease to help people to achieve true health—primarily through the use of natural medicines.
● Naturopathic doctors must go to a 4-year medical school where they receive training in biology, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, physical medicine, naturopathic modalities and more. There are 7 accredited naturopathic programs located in the combined United States and Canada. To learn about these programs go to: https://aanmc.org/naturopathic-schools/
● We have developed a guide that discusses Naturopathic Medicine in detail:
● A key principle of naturopathic medicine is to do no harm. It is very important for your naturopathic doctor to have medical training when providing education on your medical wellness. Without this foundation the practitioner will not have understanding or training that is necessary to keep you safe, while supporting you with natural therapies.
● Dr. Cain graduated from a licensed naturopathic medical school—The Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. She completed a residency in primary care and did an extended fellowship in psychiatric care. She maintains a full license to practice medicine in the state of Arizona.
● When looking for a naturopathic doctor it is necessary to understand if the practitioner you are considering, received a medical license from an accredited school of Naturopathic Medicine.
● More detailed information here: https://www.healthforlifegr.com/naturopathic-physician-practitioner/
● To support licensure and regulation of Naturopathic Medicine in the State of Michigan please go to: https://www.michnd.org/
● No, Dr. Cain is a licensed naturopathic doctor in the state of Arizona. She is giving expert education in the state of Michigan until the licensure bill is passed in Michigan. She has a master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and has worked as a clinical therapist and counselor. She has participated in an internship at Rush Behavioral Health hospital in Chicago, Illinois.
● In the state of Arizona, Dr. Cain is recognized as a physician with her naturopathic medical degree and can prescribe medication. In the state of Michigan, she is not allowed to prescribe medication yet (due to a delay on the licensure bill). However, she can work with you and your primary care doctor or psychiatrist to make a plan on anything related to medication.
● Yes, we are working on having supplement services made. Please call the front desk and find out more details about getting supplement support from Dr. Cain, even if you are not a patient of hers.
● We believe it is important to look at your entire picture as a person, your history, your relationships, what is going on in your life and your entire health from mental health to physical health and all things in between. We are a clinic that believes in a holistic approach and therefore we do our homework. We do not make assumptions about people, we want to read and try to study the person so that we can get to know you in a very deep way and help you have deep healing.
● Dr. Cain can give you expert education on what to do for such things as virus, flu and strep throat, however, when in doubt go to your urgent care or primary care physician.
● The food allergy program is a very special program put together at Health For Life, which includes laboratory testing on a different type of allergy test involving your gut health and food sensitivities, not just anaphylactic reactions. This is different than the standard food allergy test you will receive in a medical doctors office, which involves pin pricks. This is a detailed analysis that Health for Life has access to through their relationships with a very reputable lab company called Great Plains Laboratory. We will help you get tested at your local laboratory and have your blood sent into the lab to get analyzed. The results will come back and we will give you a write up on what foods you have sensitivities to and even help you with your diet. There is more information here.
● and more information is available here:
● It depends on your insurance. Please call your insurance and ask about your lab benefits. You may also call our front desk 616-200-4433 and we may be able to guide you on advocating for your lab benefits with your insurance provider.
● The Health For Life program is an all-inclusive program developed by Dr. Cain that includes education, lab work, supplements, and doctor visits. It can also be customized to include individual and family counseling, as well as clinical hypnotherapy depending on how your needs.
● This varies based on the person’s need. Dr. Cain will work with you individually to design a follow-up schedule that will ensure you have the support you require.
● Dr. Cain is in both. Due to the demand for her services, Dr. Cain maintains an office in Scottsdale, Arizona and in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Dr. Cain is mainly in Arizona in the winter time, yet will travel back and forth as requested. Dr. Cain can work with you by video if your follow up or new patient visit falls into the schedule on a time when she is not physically in your state. However, Dr. Cain is quite conscientious and can easily work with you to schedule in-person appointments if that is what you prefer–call 616-200-4433 to find out more.
● Dr. Cain also sees many patients in other states and is able to do so by video and contact with their local lab and primary doctor. More details are available on Dr. Cain’s webpage in the contact section.
● Our model is integrated in as much as that we are willing and able to collaborate with multiple practitioners based on anyone’s needs. If a client wants us to talk to their doctors to make custom plans, we can do so. This includes our Counselors and our Naturopathic doctor.
● We accept Cash, Check, Credit/Debit card, and HSA and Flexible Spending Accounts.
● Insurance coverage and/or reimbursement depend on the plan you have purchased. Our clinicians will be happy to discuss payment options with you.
● We are working on this and should be able to do so in the future.
● For counseling you may get invoices for your insurance. Currently insurances do not accept Naturopathic Medical Doctors invoices outside the state of Arizona. And clinical hypnotherapy is usually not accepted either.
● Health For Life occasionally offers health coaching and group health education classes.
● Health For Life Grand Rapids has many community partners depending on your needs we can help you find community resources that work for you.
● This business is not based around a religion. Though, we will accept whatever religion or non-religion you are a part of.
● Our clinicians have their own personal faiths and journeys and if asked will discuss this with you. Their primary objective is to help you, no matter what your religious affiliations or non-religious affiliations are. We seek to honor people where they are at and their culture and beliefs systems.
● This is a very complicated subject and we would advise that you start with reading what Dr. Cain has written about this on her webpage.
● and a four part series by Dr. Cain:
● One session of smoking cessation with our hypnotherapist, Stacey, has an 85% success rate.
● All of our counselors are licensed through the State of Michigan, accept insurance, and are experts in their respective specialities.
● All counselors and doctors accept HSA cards
● Some counselors offer sand tray therapy
Our counselors are constantly getting the latest training such as EMDR and Somatic Experiencing Techniques, and more.
● All of our doctors and counselors are accepting new patients
● Health for Life is working on offering Reiki as well