Melodie Whitmore, MA LLPC
Trauma-Informed Counseling for Women, Young Adults, and Couples
MA, LLPC, CAADC-DP
Gottman Level 1 (Certified), EMDR Trained
Bachelor of Arts, Michigan State University
Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Western Michigan University
Everyone’s life has a story to tell. We wish these stories were only full of joy, triumph, and never-ending success, but so rarely is that the case. Being human means running into trouble and failure and we tend to get stuck on those chapters of our story, despite the rest of the story continuing around us. I believe that counseling provides an opportunity to work through those moments so you can continue on to live the story you want to tell with your life.
I approach counseling from a person-centered, holistic framework. This means that in the counseling room, we work on what you want to work on and no one will be forcing you to work on “problems” that you don’t see as problems. We set goals together and re-evaluate often if we’re meeting those goals, or if the whole counseling process is even working for you. Whatever is happening, I will work to pivot my approach and bring new information and techniques to the meetings that are customized to your unique personhood.
I enjoy working with all ages, but teenagers and young adults specifically are very dear to my heart. It’s during this time that people often are struggling to find their identity, who they love, and what they want out of their lives. It is an honor to be a part of that process as they make the decisions of what is important to them. It’s also during this time that difficult symptoms tend to start making an appearance. Learning how to cope now can lessen the effects later in life and lead to much healthier and holistic outcomes.
In addition, I have experience working with individuals in crisis, helping them find reasons to stay alive and ways to cope with what can feel like all-consuming depression and sorrow. I also have experience working with individuals who are experiencing difficulties with overuse of alcohol and drugs and can help plot a course toward harm-reduction and a more rewarding life. Let’s work together to turn your story into the one you want to tell.
Areas of Specialization:
- Eating Disorder clients
- Recovering from Trauma and PTSD
- LGBTQ+ Clients
- Recovery from Anxiety and Depression
- College and Career counseling
- Substance Use Issues
- Victims of Sexual Assault
- Victims of Religious Cults
Details of Insurance:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Physicians HealthCare (ASR)
- Straight Medicaid
- Blue Cross Complete
- Out of Network Benefits
- Accepts HSA cards
- Cash Rates and Package Details available. Call 616-232-6171.
- If out of network, we will give you a superbill to submit to your insurance for reimbursement.
- Late Hours Available
- Complimentary 15 Minute Phone Consultation
- Diagnostic Evaluation of Symptoms and a Plan for Treatment
- Individual Talk Therapy
- Couples Talk Therapy utilizing the Gottman Method (Level 1 completed)
- Communication Skills and Relationship Focused Individual Therapy
- Therapy services include: EMDR therapy, Acceptance and Commitment (ACT), Cognitive Behavioral (CBT), Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Training, Narrative Therapy, and Solution-Focused Therapy Approaches, Strengths Based Approaches
Melodie Whitmore, LLPC, is a therapist in Grand Rapids, MI that offers trauma informed talk therapy to individuals who are suffering from anxiety and depression. Melodie identifies as a white, cisgender female who is currently in a closed monogamous relationship. As a recent graduate from Western Michigan University, Melodie has been working in a crisis residential program and recently switched to private practice. Her therapeutic approach focuses on helping clients bridge the gap between where they are now and where they want to be in the future. Melodie is interested in helping any individual, regardless of race or background, overcome their struggles and work towards a life they would like to live.